Be a Mentor
Answer the Call – Be a Mentor
We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say ‘It’s not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.’ Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes. – Fred Rogers
What does it mean, as a man, to show up in your life and in your community? What does it mean if you don’t? Maybe you feel too busy. Maybe the thought of sitting with a bunch of teenage boys scares the heck out of you. Maybe you feel you don’t have what it takes. Or that you wouldn’t be able to relate. And maybe… you hear that small voice inside calling you to do more. And maybe deep down you know that part of being a man is helping the younger generation find their way on the path to manhood.
Our mentors are all adult ages and life stages. High school graduates, college students, working professionals, and retirees. Parents who had 10 kids or never had kids of their own. Any many other backgrounds, probably including yours!
- Let boys see that there are men who care and are willing to listen.
- Work to honor and support the boys’ intelligence, abilities, and choices.
- Tell your truths in a way that builds trust and community.
- Have fun and learn more about yourself in the
These people take time out of their lives just to help some teenage kids they may never have met before. Teaching us to develop character, good habits, and to build confidence in ourselves. They really do care about every member of the group. – Max, age 15
Boys to Men has helped me connect with men who are authentic and I also get a chance to be there for the boys so they know they are not alone in their journey of life. This is the kind of work that can change the world. – John, a mentor
Join the Team
It is easy and very rewarding to become a Mentor with Boys to Men.
- Work in supportive groups, never alone.
- Control your time commitment.
- Experience your own growth and development.
- Receive plenty of training and support.